Here are few things that you should remember while using Twitter as a business tool. But keep in mind that your that you have to socialize also don’t use it for the business purpose alone.
- Update your profile – Keep your profile updated and current with any new developments or projects currently in the works. This helps your customers understand where you are going as a business and it also makes them aware of any changes you have planned.
- Stay professional – While it may be fun to get into a heated debate over who will win the Kentucky Derby, keep your tweeting business oriented. It is not a bad thing to express your opinion every once in a while, but do make sure that it falls directly in line with the mission statement and operating procedures of the company under whose name you are tweeting. If you are a sole proprietor, obviously you have the decision making power here, but if you are in business with others, develop a policy for how individuals will tweet.
- Be personal – People like to know they are talking with actual people. In this age where digital voices prompting our actions are standard, people find great delight in the ability to communicate with intelligent human people who can actually listen and respond rather than deal with canned impersonal messages that don't meet their individual needs and desires.
- Give to get – Do not, I repeat, do not, just spam your followers with announcements of new products or websites for them to look at. Converse with them, answer their questions and ask them exactly what they are looking for. Once again, be human and socialize with them. It is ok to interact with your customer online the same way you interact in a face to face meeting, just keep it professional.
- Use tracking devices – Implement the use of hashtags and other tracking devices as searchable references for your customers. This makes it easy for them to follow you and your business developments. The easier it is to follow you and what you are doing, the better chance you have they will actually do it. Let your customers know when you have initiated a new search term and what those terms mean to them. Your business is about helping the customer get to your product as easy as possible. Hashtags are a great tool to help this happen.
- Make their life easy – While conversing with your prospects, make sure to ask if there is anything they believe your business can do to improve - and then listen. Customer feedback is one of the most valuable tools to a business. What better way to get feedback than online when you are already in conversation with them? You can develop customer loyalty simply through listening to and responding to their opinions.
The biggest mistake I was making on Twitter is tweeting only like a deaf machine. What i used to do is I was tweeting like this “Google announced RSS ads - link:” I was never replying to @messages. Don’t be a machine like I was, whose work is to post and post only, check your replies and messages, respond to questions and be human. Business is build with strong relation so don’t forget about it.
image credit: http://netmoneyfaq.com
'’If you like this post than do post your comments”